Monday, June 6, 2011

Another Boring Romantic, That's Me

In my lonely, perpetually-single state of being, I've started playing a little game with myself, whenever OkCupid sends me another "Someone Chose You!" email.

For those of you who are not doomed to the doldrums of online dating, let me explain: Remember Hot or Not? Hmm ... maybe some of you are too young for that (or spent your college years more productively, like by going to parties and getting laid and stuff). (Holy Crap, I cannot believe that site is still around. Go figure.) Well, there's something like that on OkCupid, called "QuickMatch" where you're given a person's pictures, their basic profile, but not their username, and you're asked to rate them on a scale of one to five stars. When you give that person four or five stars, they are sent an email letting them know that they've been "chosen!" but hiding the true identity of the chooser by presenting a cluster of nine pictures, one of whom is the person who gave the high rating.

The game, of course, is to try to figure out which of the nine is really the one who gave you four plus stars. For instance, here is my selection of today:

nineguys

Yes, I stuck a gray oval over each of their faces. The identity of the victims must be preserved.

I've gotten pretty good at correctly guessing which of the gentlemen is my caller before I log in. (Once I do log in, I can usually tell either by the fact that the person has viewed my profile, or if I go into the Quickmatch game itself he is generally the second or third guy to come up.) It's, of course, never the one I would choose for myself. Not necessarily the creepiest-looking one, but close enough.

I guess I tend to attract a certain kind of guy. I guess. Sigh.

In other news: this Sunday I woke up at the crack of 2 a.m. — which involved getting to bed at 5 p.m. the night before — to volunteer at the opening ceremonies for the AIDS LifeCycle event. One of my coworkers set this up for a group of us to participate, and I have to admit, it was a blast. I forget how volunteering really makes you feel like part of a community. I spent the better part of four hours running around, surrounded by lots of men and women in spandex, going on my knees and giving pump jobs. (Hey, now: I was one of the people carrying around bicycle pumps for tire inflation. What did you think it was, sicko?) I still think bicyclists are crazy-assed people, but this group was wonderful and pumped and doing something extremely awesome with their crazy. I hope they have a great ride the rest of this week.

I also ended up seeing the latest X-Men flick with friend Josh, and was reminded once more of how much of a Small Town is San Francisco when I looked three people up in line and found Jeremy, whom I haven't seen since December. The movie was fun, but the company all around (seated between two Js) was better.

Oh, and I went and saw the Magna Carta on Saturday, which perhaps puts me way up at the top of the geekdom charts. But I suppose no one here's really surprised about that, are they?

No comments: