Sunday, March 21, 2010

Rebranding

I've been pretty quiet the last couple of months. I looked in my "Edit Posts" section of my Blogger dashboard, and there's a lot of unpublished posts, half-finished. Mid-thought. Likely never to become public.

It was a hard couple of months. Go ahead and roll your eyes (my friend Laura already did), but I had a difficult time coming to terms with the whole turning-30 thing. (My birthday was last weekend, by the way, in case you were wondering.) I'm not exactly sure why I couldn't come to grips with a number — and, admittedly, not even a very large number. I'm guessing it has something to do with my New Year's resolution number 2, because all things considered, my life is pretty much on track. I've got some wonderful friends, who actually call me out and forgive me my sins, and all that. I've got a job I absolutely love, with a company that, despite its sins, I'm still happy with. My family has gone through massive drama and survived, maybe stronger than ever. I am an aunt. I live on my own, and am pretty clear on who I am as a person, and where I want to take myself. And I actually have a finger on what's missing from my life.

Now to fix those potholes, so I don't keep tripping over them.

Today, Tamica and Michelle, two friends from my high school days, came into town for brunch in celebration of my birthday ... and, of course, a chance to catch up, since with Tamica living in San Jose and Michelle in Sacramento I don't get to see them that often. We did the hour-and-a-half wait at Brenda's (which I feel was worth it, might have to write up a review at some point), and then spent a few hours walking around the city, ending up at Bi-Rite Creamery. The walk was long enough that the conversation eventually turned to lifestyle. I didn't realize it, but apparently my friends see me as a sort of Carrie Bradshaw (Sex and the City). I'm not sure if that's a compliment (I think they intended it as such) or if I should feel disturbed by this. But it reminded me of two things:

1) I have a blog. This one, in fact.
2) I started my blog with the intention to write about my life adventures. Specifically, my adventures as a (now 30-something) single woman living in San Francisco.

I don't think I have the most interesting of lives, and I'm not exactly looking for fame, even of the Internet kind. But every blog needs a focus, and apparently I have one. And every blog needs people who would be interested in reading it, which my friends apparently are, vocally so.

If that's not incentive enough to come back and start writing more, I don't know what is.

So expect me around a bit more. And please leave comments on what you'd like to read more of: dating failures? Good food and things to do around the city? My awesome knitting and ceramic prowess? I'm all eyes.

No comments: