Thursday, February 2, 2012

It's Complex

Yesterday I went to Krav for the first time in two months. Alone in the locker room, I stepped on the scale, almost afraid of what it would say. Except it read about six pounds lighter than the weight I'd been at my last physical, 30 days ago. Woo hoo! I thought. I must be doing something right! Then I looked down at my flabby belly, bulging out over the top of my workout pants, and realized that I'd only lost what muscle weight was hiding underneath the blubber, not the blubber itself.

Le sigh.

There was a moment tonight when I almost forgot I was in San Francisco and not New York. My not-a-date date and I were wandering around after dinner, trying to find a secluded spot (there aren't many in FiDi SF, and what ones there are have security cameras) and ended up in a public space with benches and weird art, surrounded by skyscrapers. I looked straight up. The sky was clear, framed by the buildings, and the moon shone its waxing gibbous face down on us, and the illusion was almost complete. I am there, this is happening.



Maybe the weight I lost was wallowing self-pity, not muscle.

On a nerdier note, as part of my goal to do as much of the 7x7 Magazine 2012 Big Eat Challenge, I actually spent some time mapping out the locations of all the restaurants.

View 2012 Big Eat Map in a larger map

Sure, maybe someone else is or was going to do the work on this so I didn't have to, but this way I can keep track of the ones I've actually tried. Go me. And go ahead: let me know if you want to join me for any of it. Some of those places are definitely best with a partner in crime.

No comments: