Tuesday, February 28, 2012

I'm Not Dead ... Yet

It's been a couple of weeks, but I haven't been idle, I promise you.

First, a gratuitous picture of my nephew at the Oakland Zoo, a month ago:
IMG_1735

Now allow me to yarnily digress.

I was keeping my fingers busy knitting a sweater to have it done in time for Stitches West ... except it wasn't. All the pieces were there, but then I had to seam them together. And it was 10 pieces that needed seaming. Ten. Those of you who don't knit won't quite understand this, but it's a lot of putting-together. Like, normally you put together Erector sets, but this time someone gave you the pieces to put together a Ford Focus. (That might be an exaggeration there. Maybe.) So I was seaming like crazy the night before and morning of, only to have something that looked like crap. I gave up on it, took out all the seams, and started over when the weekend was done. I've got most of the bits done now, and it looks infinitely better than it did before:

IMG_1736

Trust me here. This is nicer than it looked on Saturday.

The weekend was not a complete bust. I had a sweater from last year to wear and collect compliments upon (there were few to be had), and bought enough yarn to make three more sweaters. (This brings my total number of sweaters-in-skeins to 14, for those who care. Holy crap, I can knit 14 sweaters, and still have yarn for a ton of other projects. Fuck, maybe I should actually get knitting instead of writing here.)

Between the knitting, and work, and seeing the Favorite Nephew, I've actually been keeping social. And when I'm not being social, I've been keeping ... happy. At least, I think it's happy. It's not sad, that's for sure. I'm almost afraid of it, not sure what to make of it. The beginning of the year was just so frighteningly low and lonely, I keep thinking I'm either going to wake up to find out this is all a dream, or wake up and find out that I've just made myself completely numb so I won't feel it anymore.

Hoping it's neither of those things.

There have been other things. Like the Saturday that Michelle, Tamica and I did a morning at the Ferry Building to help me bump a few things off my Big Eat list, and then dinner at Little Star to bump off another. And the Thursday evening dates, and the occasional bouts of Krav, and and and.

In a couple weeks I'm going to Disneyland for my birthday, the hotel is booked, Emily is joining me, I hope to rope Billy in, too, and I plan to take Mindy (my new car) on her first big road trip to get me there. Another big quick road trip is planned for April, when I'm heading up to Seattle to work and stay with the peeps and stop in Portland on the way up to see Steph.

I am keeping busy, and keeping happy, but who wants to hear about all of that? Blogs are for angst and introversion and pictures and social commentary, aren't they? I'll try to get more of some of that in soon. I don't promise.

No comments: