Sunday, April 4, 2010

Boiling Down

I wonder if I should put this comic strip on my dating profile? It kind of states about 33% of my requirements in a boyfriend.

We had our family Passover Seder yesterday, and it inspired me once again to look into making my own Haggadah for our family. It's a project I've had in the back of my mind for a while now. The one we've been using for years is really basic, and kind of skims over a lot of the story. There are elements of it I'd like to keep, of course, but for the purposes of our own family gatherings, and especially considering the fact that we're not very religious and that we almost always have one or two outsiders there who have never experienced a Seder before, I think it would be nice to have something that fits in with our own pool of beliefs and experiences. Probably blasphemous ... but what else is new?

Just another thing to add to the list of projects I want to do someday. Eventually I will get around to starting on that list.

Today's fabulous San Franciscan adventure: butchering a chicken and making chicken broth. I have to say, I'm glad I'm a carnivore, because one of my favorite things to do in the kitchen is cut up a chicken. I might have mentioned this before. But I say it again because it's just that much awesome, once you know how to do it.

The chicken body parts, except for the insides and back, went to making Chicken Paprikash, which is one of my favorite easy-peasy leftovers-guaranteed (because I'm cooking for only one) recipes. Most of the rest is in my stockpot, simmering; it's been going about 3 hours so far, and I'll probably keep it on until I'm ready to go to bed — I like my chicken broth to be boiled down, dammit. Not sure what to do with the liver. The one in this chicken is huge, but I only have the one. It's in the freezer for the moment ... maybe I'll collect a bunch and find a good recipe for chicken livers. At some point. Maybe.

Ah, the life of a single woman in the City. Are we jealous yet? (Didn't think so.)

No comments: