Sunday, August 29, 2010

15 in 15 - A Meme From teh Facebooks

Memes are funny. By the way, for the uneducated English speaker, the term comes from the French word même, pronounced [mehm] not [meem], which means "same". You talk about a meme, and I immediately think of my college days, living in Isla Vista surrounded by sororities. Every Friday and Saturday night, it was like a live-action meme in process — dozens of bleached blonde, bulimic bleating girls all dressed in the same outfit but different colors, on their way to the party of the evening.

Not that I'm bitter about them or anything. Not at all.

That said, I've been "tagged" twice on Facebook for the following meme, and I suppose I might as well participate. Let's see if I can make something memorable. You make take it to your own blog as you like.




The rules: Don't take too long to think about it - choose fifteen albums you've heard that will always stick with you. List the first fifteen you can recall in no more than fifteen minutes. Tag fifteen friends, including me, because I'm interested in seeing what albums my friends choose. (To do this, go to your Notes tab on your profile page, paste rules in a new note, make your fifteen picks, and tag those friends you want to hear back from.)

The albums:

1. Trashcan Sinatras - Cake. The album that changed my music taste forever. Truly.
2. Kent - Hagnesta Hill. With songs that have lines like "Now I've found a way to make you smile / Pretending I am someone else / 'Cause I really missed your smile / More than I miss myself", how could I resist?
3. Mew - And the Glass-Handed Kites. There's a four-song set in the middle of this album that I could just listen to on repeat for hours.
4. R.E.M. - Automatic for the People. Songs that make me dance, and make me cry (in a good way).
5. The Smiths - Singles. The album/compilation that got me through my first real break-up.
6. Fauré - Requiem. I swiped this album from my favorite friend. Listening to it makes me forget ... most bad things.
7. Queen - Jazz. I actually am not sure if this the the album that was on repeat during the bike-riding portion of my youth, but it is the one with the defining song, "Bicycle Race". This album is here to represent pretty much the entirety of Queen's discography. If you don't like Queen, you don't like music.
8. Trashcan Sinatras - "Weightlifting". My favorite band makes a second appearance on this list. This album ... well, let's just say it helped me through a rough time, and kept me upbeat during a better time.
9. Turin Brakes - Ether Song. Wistful, moody. Plus a song about oral sex.
10. Jellyfish - Spilt Milk. High school, the Crustmobile, and everything that went with it. Steph knows what I'm talking about.
11. Dubstar - Goodbye.
12. Idlewild - The Remote Part.
13. The Cure - Show. There was a time when this album and the two above were on repeat constantly. I haven't listened to them for a long, long while. Maybe it's time to dust them back off, now that I'm thinking on 'em.
14. Paul Simon - Graceland. Pure pop perfection.
15. Radiohead - Kid A.

Hey, how convenient: now I know which CDs I have to take with me on my road trip in a week. Awesome.

No comments: