Sunday, May 6, 2012

Gone Native

Dogpatch

It must be spring, since we've had three beautiful weekends in a row here in San Francisco. I am awaiting the inevitable impeding cool down of summer that I know is on the horizon, lurking.

At any rate, the sun was good, because it made my first baseball game ever a great, warm experience. Can't imagine sitting in the stands, shivering with cold as I watch a game that's not hockey.

Instead, it was the kind of day you see in the movies. The ones that convince tourists that San Francisco isn't all fog and wind, and lures them into visiting town with shorts and tank tops.

AT&T Park

I joined old friends Michelle and Tamica for a game in celebration of the latter's birthday. Giants vs. Brewers, and it was a good thing they (we, I guess?) won, because it made the last four innings or so actually entertaining and enthralling.  We didn't have to keep ourselves completely occupied with just food

AT&T Park

or men dressed up as horses for the Kentucky Derby.
AT&T Park

Afterwards at my suggestion we headed to Straw for "high-end carnival food" (my description which won the group over). My recommendation: eat one of everything. It was all good. Even the cotton candy cocktail.

Straw

Today, I met up with Michelle and Tamica for brunch (thus making this completely an SF native type of weekend) at Serpentine (with stop for ice cream and cookies at Mr. and Mrs. Miscellaneous) (get the Pink Squirrel, it's tops). It's out Dogpatch way, which is a neighborhood that gets little attention from me, so we did a little wandering and stumbled on a tiny park right on the bay, surrounded by warehouses and dead Market Street signage.

Dogpatch

Dogpatch



Dogpatch

Dogpatch

Dogpatch

It's amazing how a city that I've been a part of for seven years now can still surprise and awe me.

It is also amazing how a little sun can change one's opinion of one's home town. Maybe I will be leaving with some regret. Just a little.

No comments: