Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Insanity of Nostalgia

It's been high time for a while now for me to go through my chest of drawers and do a purge of clothes I no longer wear. I had to be harsh on myself this time: I have a lot of stuff in there, much of it hasn't seen daylight in months (or years), and some of it I've been keeping around in the fruitless hope that I will lose the weight and be able to wear it again. (Cue the laugh track.)

To keep me occupied (and to drown out the loud TV noise of my somewhat-selfish upstairs neighbor) I popped in one of my old "The Dynamic Groovy Music Hour" tapes. If you've been paying attention, you may know that this was my old program from my college radio days. This particular tape was of the last show of my Freshman year. I've got the basics down, but I talk so damn much — it would be amazing that I had any listeners at all, if I didn't also have good taste in music. Most of these songs I haven't listened to in about a decade, so it's been nice to revisit them.

Then I found this gem, and it touched a chord deep within me. This one definitely fell out of the cracks of my brain, but I kind of wish I had the chance to play it for one person in particular. It's definitely ridiculous, even though I still catch myself from time to time having those exact feelings. (Like, for instance, when a certain jerkface completely forgets my birthday. Still bothering me. I thought I'd be over all that by now. Guess I'm not.)

You should see the blogs I write but don't post on here. Better yet: you shouldn't. Those are the ones I write just to vent those feelings out into some sort of medium, and then lock up away. Hoping they will disappear, out of sight, out of mind.

At any rate, I should get back to cleaning. The clothes have been purged, and the ones that are left actually fit(!) in the drawers, which is nothing short of a miracle. A week of being too busy to think has left the rest of my apartment in a state of anarchy, and now that I've finally recovered (and my date for the evening has been canceled), I can put some focus into clearing the chaos.

ETA: Something else I re-discovered in K7-land:

No comments: